2007年6月11日星期一

New Friends, Old Friends, Good Friends.

Saturday June 9

Aunt says: Let’s make muffins for breakfast! What would you like? There’s chocolate, banana…

Uncle says: Why must muffins all be sweet? Why can’t they be savoury? Let’s have red chilli muffins!

Amy thinks: haha uncle’s crazy

Aunt flips thru recipe book…

Aunt says: Oh look! Here’s a cheddar onion muffin recipe?

Amy thinks: you’ve gotta be kidding me…

Uncle says: Good! Try it!

Amy thinks: they’re serious?!

So amy ends up mixing 2 cups of flour, ½ tsp of salt, 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of baking powder and folds in whisked egg+springonion+ground black pepper+cut red peppers+olive oil+grated cheese+mustard and voila:

Cheese Onion Muffins.


The first non-sweet muffins I have ever seen/made/tasted.

I obediently made them as instructed… but took my first bite with great apprehension based on the amount of weird stuff that went in

But they were superbly yummy!!! A wonderful burst of flavour with every bite.
I’m quite determined to reproduce this when I get home (scribbled the recipe down on the way home, it’s really quite easy) but I’ll add more cheese and replace the onions with mushrooms. Ha. You’ll notice that the egg mixture would actually be wonderful fried as an omelette as well.

The weekend’s been fantastic… even with the housemates and all the other smu ppl away in Hangzhou.

Started with the fri night bbq at my uncle’s luxurious house which ended up unlocking a treasure trove of friends- a renewed primary sch acquaintance and jy’s gd friend (Ky), a very sweet girl who I clicked with almost instantly (S), and another very hyper, very enthu, very cute and very slobbery girl (Ray, my uncle and aunt’s dog!)

Made an impromptu stayover at my uncle’s house and got to bake muffins in the morning which was just what I’d been hankering to do this weekend but thought I couldn’t since I didn’t have an oven/ baking equipment.

Was invited to join them for a massage but I needed to rush off to meet the honeymooners and friends. Hadn’t seen HK in years!!! He looks the same though… and he’s just as crappy as ever!!! And gosh his gf sure can bargain!! Wish I could have shopped with her more but all I bought was another umbrella (mine got blown goyak by the wind). Then we headed for KTV! Where I happily sat in a corner munching my way thru a pile of snacks and watching the mtvs while the rest sang.

(A prize for anyone who can guess the song Hf is singing. Clue 1: look at the mtv screen. Clue 2: it was a very tiring song. Those who were present or have insider knowledge from the honeymooners themselves are not eligible for the competition.)

Couldn’t stay long though cos I was going for a talk by the Capitaland ceo all the way at the other side of Shanghai. Was really glad to find out about this session from the nus people and it seems quite providential because I’ve been seriously considering capitaland as a potential employer. Wanted to do an internship there this summer actually, but cldn’t get one. Just realized my senior is working there now and I cld have secured one thru him. SIGH. But anyway, the ceo seems pretty open to hiring us and so I think I really will apply. (after i introduced myself, the ceo blurted out "can you speak mandarin?!" i was quite taken aback at first! on hindsight i think it's just that he thought i was not chinese... which does happen at times) Apart from that, I had good company and conversations the whole evening (met 3 seniors from 3 different schools of mine) and I left feeling really happy! (n stuffed full of Singapore food – from both fri & sat night!)

So in my rather high mood (being happy makes me high) I decided to take detours on the way home. So a simple train switch at the mrt interchange became a shopping excursion where I stocked up on some of my favourite food and drinks at raffles city to have for breakfast and walked the shops at the mrt station.

Then after changing train, what should have been a 10min walk from the station to my house ended up being a 1hr walking tour of various parts of the neighbourhood, with me walking randomly as usual. I basically just headed for wherever I saw light and managed to find a stretch of shops that were still open (huai hai zhong lu/ xi zhang nan lu) and my tramp rewarded me with a very pretty pair of heels!! I also chanced upon a street of food stalls (寿宁路), similar to wu jiang lu.

Was planning to sleep in tmr for once but I’ve though of so many things that I want to do that I’m not sure if I’ll have time to sleep in after all! Well we’ll see how it goes when I wake up ;)

(does anyone have any idea why i seem to have trouble publishing long posts? i know it's possible cos my other friends all seem to be able to... they can publish like 8photos + text at a time and i can't seem to publish that much...)

4 条评论:

匿名 说...

They have a dog?? How come they didn't produce her while we were there =(
- L

amy 说...

yah i dunno also. think they just forgot about her cos her room is downstairs and we didn't stay long that time. so this time when i went and saw their big garden, i told uncle weng "you shld have a dog!" and he said "oh we do! didn't you see her the last time?!"

匿名 说...

They have a dog. And their dog has her own room.
- L

amy 说...

-nod solemnly-