2008年7月30日星期三

Over dinner the other night…

(the conversation was about a friend’s company day where everyone wore their old uniforms)
Friend 1: Some people even wore their primary school uniforms!

Me and Friend 2: Primary school??? How can they fit??

Friend 1: Why not? Some of them were already very big then I guess. In Primary 6, I was already 162 wat.

(pause)

Me: Wow. I’m not even 162 now!

Friend 2: You’re not??
(bless her heart!)


Cross-cultural difference
There I was sitting cross-legged on my chair in the office...

Peter the Austrian Intern: Wow it’s great that you can sit like that. Most people can’t!

Me: Huh? They can’t? If you walk into any primary school here you’ll see all the little kids sitting cross-legged on the ground!

Peter: Oh. Well I guess they don’t do that in Europe.

What kind of world can that be where people don’t sit cross-legged?? It’s inconceivable!

At my accusation that he was mean:
Peter: I’m not mean! But even if I am, it’s to be expected. Austrians are by nature mean and grumpy.

Me: They are?? I always thought they were very nice and cheerful in their pinafores and all.

Peter: Naw... look who started the two world wars
!
Me: Proud of yourself aren’t you!

没有评论: